Short Suras from the Holy Qur'an
The four suras (chapters) listed below include the first (Al Fatiha) and the last three (Al Ikhlas, Al Falaq, Al Naas) suras of the Qur'an. Sufis often repeat these suras together for spiritual fortification and protection.
We have included a Flash-based audio learning tool for each of these suras at the bottom of the page. Sorry, but it won't work on most mobile devices.
Al FatihaBismillah er Rahman er Rahim
Alhamdulillahi Rabbil Alamin
Er Rahman er Rahim
Maliki Yaumid Din
Iyaka na’ budu wa iyaka nasta’in
Ihdinas siratul mustaqim
Siratallazina an amta alayhim ghayril magdubi alayhim walad daalin (Amin)
The Opening• In the name of Allah, The One Who Acts with Mercy, The Source of Mercy
• May Allah, the Lord of the worlds, be praised.
• The One Who Acts with Mercy, The Source of Mercy.
• Ruler on Judgment Day.
• We are devoted to You and we ask for Your help.
• Guide us to the sure path.
• The path of those on whom You have bestowed Your grace,
not of those who misguide themselves (Amen).
Al IkhlasBismillah er Rahman er Rahim
Qul Hu Allahu Ahad
Lam yalid wa lam yulad
Wa lam yakun lahu kufuwan Ahad
Sincerity and Salvation• In the name of Allah, The One Who Acts with Mercy, The Source of Mercy
• Tell them, “He, Allah, is Unique,
• “Allah is The One to Whom All Should Appeal.
• “He does not give birth, nor is He born,
• “And nothing is equal to The Unique (Allah).”
Al FalaqBismillah er Rahman er Rahim
Qul audzu birabbi falaq
Min sharri ma khalaq
Wa min sharri ghasiqin idza waqab
Wa min sharri nafasati fil uqad
Wa min sharri hasidin idza hasad
The Daybreak• In the name of Allah, The One Who Acts with Mercy, The Source of Mercy
• Tell them, “I seek refuge in the Lord of the daybreak
• “From the evil of what He created,
• “And from the evil of the darkness when it intensifies,
• “And from the evil of those who blow on knots (do evil magic),
• “And from the evil of the envious ones when they act with envy.”
Al NaasBismillah er Rahman er Rahim
Qul audzu birabbin-naas
Min sharril waswasil khanas
Aladzi yuwaswisu fi sudurin-naas
Min al jinnati wan-naas
The Humankind• In the name of Allah, The One Who Acts with Mercy, The Source of Mercy
• Tell them, “I seek refuge in the Lord of humankind,
• “(The) King of humankind,
• “(The) Highest Power of humankind,
• “From the evil of the one who whispers and runs,
• “The one who whispers into the chests of people,
• “Whether they be of the jinn or human.”